Travel Safe This Summer - Car Seat Safety Tips
It’s time to start off summer safely! As we head into the summer months, many families are making plans to hit the road for a summer trip. For families with young children, those plans include double checking car seats and safety restraints. An important responsibility begins with selecting a child car seat and using it properly from the moment you bring your baby home to every car ride after that. A secure, properly installed car seat could save your child’s life during a car accident.
Be sure to follow these easy tips for using your car seat safely while traveling with your little sunshine.
- Choose the best car seat / booster for child’s age weight and height
- The back seat is the safest place for children under 13 to ride
- Never place a rear-facing car seat in a seating location with a frontal air bag
- Always anchor the car seat to the car using the LATCH attachment system or vehicle seat belt exactly as directed by the car seat manufacturer
- Children should ride rear-facing until 2 years old, or longer if possible. Riding rear-facing provides the best protection for young children.
- Once your child outgrows the rear-facing height or weight limit of the car seat, your child is ready to travel in a forward-facing car seat with a harness.
- Keep your child in a forward-facing car seat with a harness until he or she reaches the top height and weight limit allowed by your car seat’s manufacturer.
- Once your child outgrows the forward-facing car seat with a harness, it’s time to travel in a booster seat, but still in the back seat.
- When using a booster car seat, make sure the child is mature enough to sit still for the entire ride and the seat belt is fitting properly.
- Keep your child in a booster seat until he or she is big enough to fit in the adult seat properly, usually when the child reaches 4’9” tall.
Good to Know Tips
- Never purchase a car seat second hand. Check expiration dates!
- Always refer to your vehicle and car seat manufacturer instructions
In addition to these great tips, the Baby Safety Zone is also giving away three JPMA Member Car Seats.
Pin It to Win It!
This contest is now closed. Thank you to all who participated. For more giveaways and tips, signup for our weekly blog!
- Pin the Car Seat Safety Infographic below
- Copy the Pin’s URL from the Board you Pinned it to
- Comment on this blog post and paste the Pin’s URL
Three winners will be selected at random. Each winner will win one of the three products listed above. Contest open to US residents only. Entries will be accepted until June 4. No purchase necessary. Winners will be contacted via e-mail.