Young children are often curious little climbers and many parents may not realize the hazards of the furniture in their home - as a television, couch or appliance can tip-over onto a child and cause an injury or sometimes death. According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), every two weeks a child dies when a television, a piece of furniture or an appliance falls on him or her.
- Secure large furniture such as dressers, bookshelves and appliances to the wall
- Place TVs on a stand or base that is appropriate for the size of the television.
- Anchor your TV to the base.
- Remove any items such as toys, remotes and beverages that might entice a young child to climb the piece of furniture.
- If anchoring is not an option, place the TV on a sturdy, low base and push it as far back as possible, and actively supervise children at all times.